Monday, July 13, 2009

1 John 3

Haha, this is my first post in a while... but I decided to start blogging again. MAYBE SOMEONE WILL READ MY BLOG! =D

Okay...so I'll start off with the awesome chapter I read in the Bible today.....

There are some really good verses in this chapter

4Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. 7Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. 10By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
1 John 3:4-10

This passage is a really good passage and it actually relates back to that verse in Matthew that says you will know them by their fruit. It really tells us that the Spirit will work in us, and that those with the Spirit don't continue in reckless sinning.

I also stopped to think what "reckless sinning" meant; what kind of sinning this passage was talking about. THANKFULLY BECAUSE OF MY ESV STUDY BIBLE :) it said that although Christians will never break free of sinning, we WILL be sanctified and no sin will be too great for us to conquer. We will never be trapped in an endless cycle of sinning. That's comforting to know =D.

The next part also has some good verses

14We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
1 John 3:14-15

Actually, I hear many people say "I hate... I really hate..." a lot, and I wonder why they are still hating, because we are called to love our brothers.

17But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?
1 John 3:17

But actually, reading this verse makes me feel that I haven't been loving enough to my brothers in need and that I need to pray for more compassion as I go out on missions. I need a heart that breaks for the poor and the hopeless.

Yeaaaaa...well that's about all I studied today. I wonder if people are reading this.. hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment